South Dakota Human Services Center
3515 Broadway St • Yankton, SD 57078
(P) (605) 668-3100
The South Dakota Human Services Center (HSC) is a licensed specialty hospital with a operating capacity of 295 patients. The Center serves South Dakotans ranging from adolescents to geriatrics. HSC is a member of the South Dakota Association of Healthcare Organizations (SDAHO) and the Western Psychiatric State Hospital Association (WPSHA).
HSC began serving patients ten years before South Dakota achieved statehood. According to historical records, Territorial Governor William A. Howard was notified that Dakotans needing care could no longer be served in neighboring states. The other states’ efforts were concentrated on providing adequate care for their own people settling in the region. Governor Howard, at his own expense, purchased two vacated buildings and had them moved north of Yankton and the Center began in 1879.
Today, the Center is located in a state of the art psychiatric and chemical dependency treatment facility, also known as the Mickelson Center for the Neurosciences (MCN), which opened in October of 1996. It is located on the northern part of the HSC campus. Several buildings on the southern section of the campus are still being used by both HSC and the State of South Dakota for offices, support, and other non-patient care uses.