The Yankton Board of City Commissioners is made up of nine Commissioners. Each Commissioner serves a three year term and may be re-elected. The Mayor is appointed by his or her peers at the first meeting in May of each year. The Mayor may also serve more than one term. Visit their webpage.
Yankton City Commissioners
- Nathan Johnson • Office Expires: May 2018
- David Carda • Office Expires: May 2018
- David Knoff • Office Expires: May 2018
- Craig Sommer • Office Expires: May 2017
- Jake Hoffner • Office Expires: May 2017
- Chris Ferdig • Office Expires: May 2017
- Charlie Gross, Mayor • Office Expires: May 2019
- Amy Miner • Office Expires: May 2019
- Tony Maibuam • Office Expires: May 2019
Description of Local Government
The Council/Manager plan is the system of local government that combines the strong political leadership of elected officials in the form of a city commission, with the strong managerial experience of an appointed local government manager. The plan establishes a representative system where all power is concentrated in the elected council as a whole and where the council hires a professionally trained manager to oversee the delivery of public services.
The City Manager’s office employs four persons: the City Manager, an Administrative Secretary, a Human Resources Assistant and the Information Services Manager. The City Manager’s office serves as the Information Center for the City.
Yankton’s leadership appreciates primary employers and takes great pride in helping businesses to locate and grow in Yankton. Yankton’s government is ready to partner with you for success.